One of our favorite recipes from the Spring Training nutrition guide were the eggplant snack bites! They take a little more time and patience in the kitchen, but are absolutely worth it when you bite into their crunchy, satisfying flavor. They are best consumed with your favorite marinara sauce (just check for minimal ingredients)!
1 medium size eggplant, sliced 3/8′′ thick(try to get a longer, skinnier eggplant rather than a shorter, wider one)
1⁄2 cup almond flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon italian seasoning 2 flax eggs (or 2 regular eggs) 1 cup water
1 1⁄2 cups chickpea bread crumbs Olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Slice the eggplant 3/8′′ thick.
3. Spread the eggplant in a single layer on paper towels. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and let sit for 10 minutes. This draws out excess moisture. After 10 minutes, you will see beads of condensation drawn out. Pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Make the flax egg. In a small bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes until thickened and gelatinous.
5. In another small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
6. In another small bowl, add chickpea crumbs.
Set up your dunking station: bowl of flour mixture, flax egg mixture, chickpea crumbs, baking sheet.
Take 1 slice of eggplant. Dip it in the flour so it is coated, shake off excess. Then dip it in the flax liquid. Then dip it in the chickpea crumbs, pressing to adhere. Then place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with all the eggplant.
Spray the top of the breaded eggplant with olive oil spray, and sprinkle with salt.
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, turning the eggplant half way through, until crispy and golden brown.
Leftovers will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week.