- 3 c butternut squash cut into ~1 inch cubes
- 1½ c vegetable broth (or “no beef” broth or mushroom broth), divided
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- liquid aminos (see note)
- -sub coconut aminos
- Combine the squash, 1 c broth, bay leaf, rubbed sage, garlic powder, and onion powder in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cover, cooking 5 – 8 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add the remaining broth. Simmer until thickened to your liking (about 10 minutes for me). If you thicken it too much, add more broth to reduce. Taste and season with salt/pepper.
Notes: When using vegetable broth, I add 3 tbsp. of liquid aminos to add umami flavor. When using mushroom or “no beef” broth, I add just a splash.Serving size is a generous ½ c. You could probably stretch it to 6 servings of ⅓ c each.