This is a great meal to make on a lazy Sunday – you’ll have extra to fuel you through your week!
- 4 pounds pork butt
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil for the pan
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 bay leaves, torn in half
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper the pork.
- In a large dutch oven, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear pork on all sides until a brown crust forms. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add garlic, onions, cumin seeds, and bay leaves. Saute until the onions are soft.
- Add chicken stock to the pan, scraping up an brown bits that have attached themselves to the bottom of the pan. Add the pork.
- Cover with lid slightly ajar and roast for 4 hours. Removed lid and roast for an additional hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Use two forks (or your hands!) to pull the pork into chunks.