Ingredients - serves 2
2 C large-diced seeded peeled butternut squash
1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch kale, stemmed, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons
1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons
3 T clarified butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ C raw sliced almonds
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, toss or mix the squash with the olive oil until well coated. Place the squash on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 45-50- minutes, until fork tender.
- About 15 minutes before the squash is done... Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Place a colander or steamer inside the pot. Add the kale and Swiss chard, cover, and steam until the kale is tender but not soft, 3-5 minutes. Remove the kale and chard from the pot and set aside. Drain the pot and wipe it out.
- Place the same pot over medium heat, add the cooking fat, and swirl to coat the bottom.
- When the fat is hot, add the garlic and almonds and stir until the garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute. Raise the heat to high and add the steamed kale and chard. Toss for 20-30 seconds to combine, then remove from the heat and transfer everything from the pot to a serving dish.
- Combine the roasted butternut squash with the kale and chard mixture. Add the chili powder, salt and pepper, toss to combine, and serve immediately.
To make this a heartier meal, add some sautéed chicken sausage to the salad just before serving.