Ingredients - serves 6 - 8
2 medium or 1 large butternut squash
1 pound lean ground beef or Italian sausage
36 oz canned tomato sauce
4 oz tomato paste
1 onion, diced finely
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup sliced olives
1 tsp dried oregano
4 eggs, beaten
Salt & pepper
Coconut oil or fat of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté diced onion in spoonful of coconut oil until softened
- Add pork, garlic and oregano. Saute until the pork is cooked through
- Add olives, tomato sauce and paste. Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer
- Peel butternut squash. Slice into 1/8” rounds, make slices uniform so they cook evenly
- Now to prepare the lasagna... Start with a bit of sauce to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Then place the squash in a single layer (I used small pieces from the bottom of the squash, which I had to cut into half moons to remove the seeds, to fill in the gaps between the rounds). Now add another layer of sauce. Now add about 1/3 of the scrambled egg and smear it around.
- Repeat the squash-sauce-egg sequence one or two more times, depending on how much you have left (I used two 9” round pans so each ended up with two layers).
- Finish with a light layer of sauce.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a knife easily pierces the squash.